Saturday, November 3, 2007

Back from China

Hi everyone,
Sean here. I am back from my long trip -- a few days in Seattle (taught two classes and gave a talk), a meeting in Suzhou, China (outside of Shanghai) and a few days with Alex and Laura in Hong Kong. I missed Marisa and her belly quite a lot while I was gone, so I kept this photo on the camera and looked at it a lot:

Her belly is now 3 weeks bigger than it was when I took this photo, and she can't stand upright anymore.... it makes the baby angry. :)

Anyhow, my trip was fun. I had a really fun time in Shanghai and Suzhou with a few good astronomy friends. The conference was really interesting -- all about the latest developments in extra-solar planets. I even stayed up really late one night trying to get World Series tickets while the Rockies' server crashed. But China changes you -- being around thousand mile-long canals and 2000 year-old pagodas wakes up something deep inside you and makes you contemplate things and be very serious. In this photo, Kaspar and David and I are caught in the "Suzhou trance". We were rescued 2 hours after this photo was taken by a passing beer salesman.


My last stop was Hong Kong with Alex and Laura. An interesting place, HK. Mountains in the center of the island, and huge buildings everywhere that it is flat enough to build. In this photo, Alex is talking business on his cell phone up by "the peak", a pretty spot to view HK. In the background you can see the jungly mountain-side, some of Hong Kong, and Kowloon in the distance across the bay (still part of HK, but not on HK island -- I was told it's like Brookyln is to Manhattan: part of the city but not quite the "city").


On my second night in HK, we went to Halloween party. In the spirit of becoming a parent, I dressed up like a pregnant lady. I did my best to look like Marisa. Alex was a Monkey and Laura was an angel. We were the stars of the party!



HK was lovely. We saw a humongous Buddha on Lantau island the day after the Halloween party. Then Alex and I went bowling and we met up later with Laura and a friend (also called Laura) at a Belgian restaurant. Schnitzel! I had to include this photo of A&L in front of their apartment building, the Happy Mansion. And Alex wanted me to announce to everyone the big news: he is also pregnant! Very noble of him to carry the baby.

I had a good trip, and I was really happy to get home to Marisa and the baby. Alex and I watched the start of game 4 at Happy Mansion but it wasn't until I arrived in SF that I heard the excellent news, that the Red Sox won! Hooray! I didn't get to celebrate like in 2004 (lots of shouting and tequila and knocking over chairs), but it warmed my heart. I would have rooted for the Rockies against anyone else.

Ooh, dinner is ready
Cheers!
Sean

2 comments:

Yolande said...

I absolutely love the belly (Sean's too)!!! The pictures from China, plus Alex and Laura, are also cool!!! See you in 10 days!!!

Unknown said...

After reading Sean's latest blog entry (LBE), I now want to go to China to meditate on and contemplate life as we know it, or rather, life as we don't know it (LAWDKI) !!! That should take a few hundred years and make me a very calm person don't you think ???

Also, I find myself rather perversely attracted to a pregnant Sean with long curly hair down to his buttocks (or is that "Botox")looking positively radiant !!

As for also appearing radiant, Marisa looks so beautiful as she is officially a third trimester preggo with T (for Tomato) minus 6.5 weeks and counting !!!

The circle of life is truly a miracle to behold. I can't build a new house in nine months (or a remodeled one for that matter!), yet nature can build a little human tomato with more complex functionality and built-in innovations than software designed by by every programmer who has ever graced a computer keyboard in the history of this planet !! Absolutely astonishing in my humble opinion (IMHO) !!!

As Tiny Tim says for all eternity in his finale out pouring of unrestrained exuberance at the conclusion of A Christmas Carroll, "God bless you every one!!"