Sunday, January 27, 2008

Smiles

A very nice thing has been happening to Owen's mouth the last few days or so. At certain times, he smiles! Sometimes it's just half of his mouth that smiles while the other half doesn't know what's happening -- this happens on either side. Sometimes, it looks like he is going for a big smile but it turns into a frowny cry-ey face. And once in a while, the big smile comes out, and it is the greatest thing in the world (and you know I don't say things like that lightly).

Last Friday (1/25) marked the best smile to date. Marisa was bopping Owen around on her legs, and he was making a few little smiles here and there. I came over and sat next to Marisa and made a face at the little guy. In response, he stared at me, and then smiled really big right at me. Over the next 30 seconds, he kept smiling at me, but the smile changed 3 or 4 times, from an open-faced honker to a tight-lipped grinny grin. I was overcome by one of the sweetest feelings I've ever had. I was smitten! That smile made me feel even more attached to him, and it was all I could think about all day.



Since then, Owen has smiled in response to me a few more times, but just for a second or two. Marisa hasn't been so lucky yet. Her theory is that in caveman days the dad might not stick around with the baby too long, and that the baby smiles first at the dad to make him more attached (and therefore to continue bringing home wooly mammoth meat).

Most of his smiles come during REM sleep, when he tries on all of his expressions. He will frown, smile, practice sucking, be shocked, snarl, etc, in succession with his eyes closed.

Sean

3 comments:

Yolande said...

That's the sweetest story I ever heard, Sean, and the cutest smile, Owen! Great theory, Marisa! Love you!

Kellie H said...

love it! so cute!

Anonymous said...

gosh, your making everyone smile- that was one of the most beautiful sentiments. so have you kept the wooly mammoth meat coming?